Sunday, February 3, 2013

Winter

Good old Phil punxaony saw his shadow, and boy I’m  glad.  I am ready for spring in a big way.  The mercury, or whatever that red line is in the thermometer is on its way up.  Weather.com is telling me we may cross freezing.  I am so glad. We could use a little sun and a little warmth here.  Tulips and crocus’s are poking up their little heads in my brother’s California backyard - I’d like to see what my tulips are doing but they are still under 2 feet of snow.  It’s melting though - yesterday it was a least 2 ½ feet.  The sidewalks and roads are for the most part clear. I can see all the shingles on our east facing neighbors roof and even a little patch of grass in their front yard.  Not so much over here on the west facing side.  So winter is definitely on its way out.  I even thought about going running today. Put my sports bra on and everything.  Then I took another look out the window and went in and ate a snickers instead.   

We are down to the worst part of winter - the dirty, smoggy, still freezing but no long crisp, tail end of winter.  Too bad the tail on this dog is twice as long as the body.  Beautiful blankets of snow -soft and white glistening- in the sun are one thing.  I kind of like that - on Christmas day, maybe even christmas eve if I am truly in the Christmas spirit.  But come Dec 26th I am ready for the sun and some shorts and at least a 70 on the thermometer.  But the snow is no longer white - it is no longer really even snow.  It’s just dirty crusty ice.  More grey than white.  Little pebbles and dirt and trash all encrusted throughout - its disgusting.  Still cold too.  Maybe not below 0 - but what’s the difference, my feet still turn red and start to ache when I run out to the trash can or to the car.  I still have rub them on the rug or roast them over the heater till they start to tingle when I get back inside.  I can still see my breath even in the garage where my water bottle haven’t thawed enough to drink yet.  I used to keep cans of coke out there, they get nice and icey - kinda like a slurpee.  I loved that, it is maybe the only thing postive I could think of that came with winter.  But now I decided to get healthy and banned coke from my life.  So now I don’t even have that.  (Just to keep myself honest here - I still drink coke when I’m not home, like for a treat- It’s just not a staple on my grocery list anymore)    

So to sum up here. The air is cold and dirty, the snow is grey and crusty, my house is a disaster, I am drinking plain old water and I am feeling fat and depressed enough that a little spike in the themometer icon on weather.com has got me all excited.   What a day.  Writing in my blog has reminded me that it has been a long time since I have posted anything.  It is probably about time.  So I will now attempt to catch up.  I will start with the best things that I can remember.  That would be Costa Rica.  

No comments:

Post a Comment